Friday, June 20, 2008

Domains of Life


It was so nice to visit with my beloved friend, Cary. Our lives have been so busy that catching up has almost been impossible! Cary has so much class to her personality. She truly is one of a kind. I have gained so much from our friendship. She exposes things for what they really are. She tells me the truth of the situation regardless if I like it or really want to hear it. She knows that's what I need and essentially expect, from her in our friendship. Cary is the type of person who looks beneath the surface of your life. I realize that she helps me to wonder, to remember, and feel.


All of this reminds me of one of my favorite books, Style Statement, which guides you to make connections and draw your own conclusions. The book provides a Lifestyle Map which represents the major domains of self-expression and relating. I have included the map and information, so that you can do the exercise yourself. You visit the eight domains of life via the Lifestyle Map. The questions in each lifestyle section are divided into two categories: "What works well for me" and "What does not work well for me." Becoming aware of this kind of contrast is an effective way to clarify what you value most. In this way, meaning and themes will start to emerge, and new insights might pop into your mind. This process is all about pattern recognition.

When you're answering questions in the "What works for me" section, be thinking: I am attracted to...I am inspired by...This feels right to me...I am compelled by...I feel desire for...I feel satisfied by... When you're answering questions on the "What does not work for me" section, be thinking: I am repelled by...I dislike...This doesn't feel right...I have no patience for...I feel dissatisfied...I experience displeasure...

To define your Style Statement, you need to enter each section of the map to explore various questions. When you have determined your actual Style Statement and you're ready to work it into your life, the Lifestyle Map can be a brilliant tool for assessing and adjusting your lifestyle. You can use it as the basis for your yearly goals, a weekly to-do list in your day timer or on the fridge, or as a guidepost for your journaling or reflective time.I have included the topics in the Lifestyle Map that you are to consider so that you can do the exercise yourself. Keep in mind that YOU are at the center.
  • Home [Dwelling space.] + Stuff [What you own, collect, desire.]

  • Fashion[Clothing. Adornment.] + Sensuality [5 senses.]

  • Spirit [Divine life. Inspiration.] + Learning [Seeking experience and knowledge.]

  • Service [Work. Philanthropy.] + Wealth [Income. Outflow.]

  • Relationships [Friends. Romance. Family. Colleagues.] + Communication [Tools for interacting.]

  • Creativity [Ideas. Creations.] + Celebration [Occasions. Gifts]

  • Body [Food. Exercise] + Wellness [Care and healing]

  • Nature [The elements] + Rest & Relaxation [What calms and entertains you]

"All art is an attempt to identify yourself. You try out many characters on the way to finding the one that most fits you and therefore, is you."

-BONO

No comments: